Like Haikus, Acrostic poems are super simple for children to do and fun for them because the ideas are endless!
They go great with ANY theme! If you are focusing on a particular Science, History, Geography or Math lesson, take a break and let the kids write an Acrostic poem about the topic!
My post SNOW POETRY includes an Acrostic poem.
Beginning of the School Year
At the beginning of a school year, you can have each student write an acrostic poem using their name! Taking and hanging a picture of each child next to their poem makes for a great art accent.
*This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.*
NOW THE LESSON!
Here are the steps I use to teach this prompt:
- Explain to the children that an Acrostic poem is a word written vertically. Each letter of the word is then used to describe the vertical word.
- Give each student a piece of paper. I use this page with a border so it looks nicer.
- Have them choose a word that they want to write about.
- Have them use markers or ABC stickers* to write their word vertically on the left hand side of their paper.
NOW TO WRITE!
- For each letter of the vertical word, write a single word or phrase about the vertical word.
2. Second, students can illustrate their acrostic if they’d like.
Check out these examples!
Print the Lesson
After writing acrostic poems we play Acrostic Races.